15 Boating Terms You Need to Know | North Naples
If you plan on spending time out on the water in North Naples, FL this summer, you should know and understand basic boating terms. Whether you're operating your own vessel or simply enjoying the ride, these terms will come in handy when speaking to dock staff, communicating with the Coast Guard or following basic safety protocols on board.
Here are 15 boating terms you need to know before you depart on your North Naples boat rental:
- Aft: If you're moving towards the rear of the boat, this is referred to as "going aft"
- Ahead: Used when the vessel is moving forward
- Amidships: The central area of the boat or vessel
- Astern: Used when the vessel is moving backward (reverse)
- Bow: The front of the boat
- Forward: If you're moving towards the front of the boat, this is referred to as "going forward"
- Port: Refers to the left side of the boat when standing at the rear of the ship and looking forward
- Port Bow: Refers to the front left side of the vessel
- Port Quarter: The rear left side of the vessel
- Starboard: Refers to the right side of the boat when standing at the rear of the ship and looking forward
- Starboard Bow: The front right side of the vessel
- Starboard Quarter: The rear right side of the vessel
- Stern: The rear side of the boat
- Topside: Refers to the moving from a lower deck to an upper deck
- Underway: If the boat is moving by wind or motor, it's considered "underway"
Boat Rental North Naples
These basic boating terms will help you get to know your vessel better and easily speak to dock staff members. Familiarize yourself with these terms before you rent your boat in North Naples.